Sunday, January 5, 2014

New Year, Resolutions, and the Flu


 There are few things worse than having the flu on your birthday.  Trust me, its even worse when you have the flu on your birthday and you were born in January.  The sky stays grey, the wind is cold and there is the pervasive color of brown everywhere.  Nothing encourages you or inspires you to get better in January.  In fact, you are left with a seasonal gloom. 

I took off work for the first time in three years and to add insult to injury, they are going to count it against me.  Of course, I wouldn’t have the flu in the first place if my co-worker three seats down had just stayed home.  She said she count afford to have anything count against her, well, now twenty people have called off work.  Eh. C’est la vie. 

So, I’m going to look on the bright side of January and focus on my new year’s resolutions.  This will be a short and sweet as my bed keeps calling me.

1.)    I resolve to keep writing this blog every week.  This ties into a larger goal to write on a daily basis, but we shall start small and work our way up.  This flu almost got me to forgo this one, but so far so good.

2.)    I resolve to eat healthier, exercise more, and go hiking often.  Hopefully, there will be a shift bid and I will get to have a morning schedule at work!  I blame my night schedule for more than I should, but one less excuse, right?  I realized with this flu that my health has gotten out of hand.  I really should at least be eating better.  Also, I got all this cool hiking gear and I should be putting it to good use. 

3.)    I resolve to keep my house in some sort of order.  Really it’s ridiculous to let things pile up the way I do.  But no more!  Trash goes in trash can, dirty cloths go in hamper, and dirty dishes go in sink.  When any of the afore mentioned gets full, it’s time to empty it.

4.)    I resolve to resume my summer “to do” list of impossible things.  Really, I will never know why I quit. One year, my impossible thing was to fly without being in a plane and so I went parasailing over the gulf of Mexico.  Another year, I wanted to save a life, so I got Red Cross certified and joined the rescue squad.  I never felt like I accomplished that one like I thought I would, but I got a thank you letter in the mail from someone I helped and it was the best feeling in the world.  I don’t know what my impossible thing is yet but it must meet two criteria.  1.  It must be “impossible”.  2. It must be completed no matter what without “cheating”. 

Well, that’s it for now.  I told you this would be short and sweet, but I feel like this was the medicine I needed.  Well… that and Tamiflu…  Now its back to bed for me.  Bon voyage and happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment